Thigh Lift (Thighplasty)
Aging and major weight loss can leave men and women with unwanted excess skin around their thighs. This often causes people to feel self-conscious, which leads them to cover up their bodies. In many cases, no amount of diet and exercise can restore the elasticity of the skin. Thigh lift surgery can help achieve a firm and slim thigh profile.
A thigh lift can correct some or all of the following:
- Unwanted sagging skin
- Disproportionately large thighs
- The appearance of cellulite
- Chafing inner thighs
Good Candidates for Thigh Lift Surgery
Ideal candidates for thigh lift surgery are in good general health and have realistic expectations about their surgery. Patients seeking thigh lift surgery may have trouble fitting into clothing and achieving their desired thigh tone through diet and exercise. During your consultation, Dr. Conrad will help determine the extent of correction necessary.
Thigh lift surgery focuses on the removal of excess skin and fat, which allows Dr. Conrad to sculpt a slimmer thigh contour. Several different techniques can be used for thigh lift surgery, and they may all be combined to achieve the best possible results.
- Liposuction can eliminate stubborn fat deposits that cling to the thighs. This is often performed on patients with a lot of excess fat that resists diet and exercise.
- CoolSculpting® may also be used to reduce fat with less downtime, although it is less effective than liposuction.
- Medial (inner) thigh lift utilizes an incision created in the groin area. Depending on the amount of tissue that needs to be removed, this incision may run to the mid-thigh or all the way down to the knee. Through this incision, unwanted tissue is excised. The remaining tissue is redraped and stitched closed, providing a firm inner thigh contour.
- Lateral (outer) thigh lift focuses on achieving a slimmer outer thigh profile and creating a more defined buttock contour. An incision is created from the groin that wraps around the hip and possibly above the buttocks, if needed. Excess tissue is removed, and the remaining tissue is sutured together to achieve the desired contour.
Immediately following your thigh lift surgery, you will likely experience bruising, swelling, and soreness. Pain medication will be prescribed to control any associated discomfort. You will be asked to wear a compression garment for the first month following your surgery in order to achieve the best results possible. For the first two weeks, you should only engage in light physical activities. Walking, sitting, and bending will put stress on your incision sites, so you should take gentle, deliberate movements. Swelling should subside after three to five weeks. You may slowly resume your regular physical activities after six to eight weeks with your doctor’s permission.
The results of your thigh lift will be permanent as long as you maintain a stable body weight. It is important to continue living a healthy lifestyle that includes diet and exercise to avoid any potential weight gain and keep your tissues healthy. It is also advised against losing any significant amount of weight following your procedure, as this may create additional excess tissue.
Thigh lift surgery may result in some scarring. For both medial and lateral thigh lift surgery, great care is taken to place incisions in discreet areas that be can hidden with clothing. The scarring will likely fade over time.
If you are interested in thigh lift surgery, please schedule a consultation with our Wichita practice today. Call (316) 681-2227 or fill out ouronline contact for to get started. Dr. Conrad and his experienced staff look forward to helping you achieve a slimmer, more toned thigh contour.